Kindness - What is one act of kindness you performed today?
I went to a craft fair on Sunday and found these cute little packet/pouches of catnip with a bell inside. The woman said her mother made them. One side had a cartoony cat fabric and it was sewn to the backside which was a pattern-y fabric. I got one for Ms. Sheba and picked up another one for my upstairs neighbor. I left it for them this morning on the banister. My neighbor's cat is older and deaf so the bell won't do much for the kitty but I'm hoping they both like the gift otherwise.
Mind/Body - Did you meditate or exercise today?
Meditated in the morning and lifted weights a tiny bit.
Walked to the county courthouse for jury duty. Although not meditating, I was completely present to the experience, not wishing I was somewhere else. I didn't get impaneled (darn! I actually wanted to be) but spent those three hours in deep observation.
Three Gratitudes - What are three unique things you are grateful for today?
1) Proximity. I live and work close enough to walk to jury duty and then walk to work. No parking hassles. No issues with taking time away from work. No added stress. Other people in my jury pool had obvious stress and strain over serving.
2) Academic and professional training ... it seems like a small thing, but just being able to walk confidently into a government building and find my way around is something I'm grateful for.
It may not seem like anything if you're used to urban life, being in higher ed, etc. but that ability to walk into any old building and get what you need is not a given for everyone. There was a time it wasn't a given for me. In my late teens, I remember the stress and frustration of navigating the world of public welfare. The anxiety over having to figure out what building to go to, how to find room numbers, how to keep track of paperwork, who to talk to, how to talk them ...
3) Health insurance that covers eye exams
Good god, perimenopause is doing a number on my eyes. I keep having to hold paper further and further away. My arms are getting any longer so I called my insurance company and eye exams are covered. Get me my readers, sonny!
Positive Journaling - Write about one positive experience you had today.
I love language and I love listening to people who use language well in translating experience or stories. One of the attorneys (for the case which I was in the jury pool for) was whip-smart. She would ask the potential jurors in the box a question and then call on each person who raised a hand for an answer. After the answer was given, she would restate what she'd heard to ensure she'd understood correctly. Sharp, crisp, accurate. She was goooood. I would have happily listened to her defend the case.
No comments:
Post a Comment